Below are the answers to the IT2 final (practice) exam.
If there is an incorrect answer, please correct it in the comments.
To read the following exam, click the link below.
A technician is asked to set up one hard drive that will support two operating systems and will store data files in three separate drive locations. Which partition settings will support these requirements?
- 1 primary, 3 active, 1 extended, 2 logical
- 2 logical, 2 active, 3 extended
- 2 primary, 1 active, 1 extended, 3 logical*
- 3 primary, 1 active, 2 extended
What are three important considerations when installing a CPU on a motherboard that has just been upgraded? (Choose three.)
- The CMOS battery is removed prior to installing the CPU.
- The CPU is correctly aligned and placed in the socket.*
- Maximum insertion force is applied to the load lever so that the CPU is locked in place.
- The CPU heat sink/fan assembly is correctly installed.*
- The CPU contacts are first cleaned with isopropyl alcohol.
- Antistatic precautions are taken.**
What determines the level of support that a call center technician will provide to an individual customer?
- All customers receive the same level of support by the call center.
- A level one technician will provide a higher level of support than a level two technician.
- An individual call center technician chooses the level of support based on the time available to assist the customer.
- Support is based on the SLA for that customer.*
Which built-in BIOS diagnostic test would a technician run to check a computer boot problem?
- battery test
- start test*
- POST test
- memory test
True or False?
An intrusion detection system works inline and has the ability to drop malicious traffic.
A specific computer has an issue that could not be resolved by the help desk technician. The on-site technician finds that Windows updates have been disabled. The technician re-enables the update service, configures the computer for automatic updates, downloads and installs all missing updates, ensures the computer boots successfully, and verifies with the customer that the issue has been resolved. Which step, if any, is next?
- Document the findings, actions, and outcomes.*
- No further action is needed.
- Test the theory to determine the cause.
- Establish a plan of action to resolve the problem and implement the solution.
- Verify full system functionality and, if applicable, implement preventive measures.
What motherboard chip controls high speed CPU communication to RAM and the video card?
On a computer that will not boot, which two actions are recommended in the troubleshooting process after verifying the obvious issues such as power to the computer and display, non-bootable media, and the BIOS boot order options? (Choose two.)
- Use the Last Known Good Configuration.*
- Remove unnecessary peripherals.*
- Replace computer components one at a time until the problem is solved.
- Reinstall the user applications.
- Reset the BIOS settings to factory default.
- Reinstall the operating system.
A customer is angry and calls to complain that the service scheduled on the computer took longer than expected. The technician reviews the work order and notices that the service was performed by a new employee. How should the technician respond?
- Verify that the computer is working properly now.
- Listen to the complaint and then apologize for any inconvenience caused by the lengthy service on the computer.*
- Put the customer on hold until a supervisor is available.
- Explain that the repair technician sent to perform the service is inexperienced.
Which open standards-based wireless security mode supports the highest level of security?
When a new motherboard is being installed, between which two components must thermal compound be applied? (Choose two.)
- heat sink*
A user has installed a new printer. Which two pieces of information about the printer operation are provided by printing a test page from the computer? (Choose two.)
- confirmation that printer and computer are communicating*
- confirmation that duplex (double-sided) printing is working correctly
- verification of print spool settings
- confirmation that the color calibration is optimized
- verification that driver software is working correctly*
Which solid-state storage technology allows a computer BIOS to be upgraded by flashing?
Which network protocol is used to automatically assign an IP address to a computer on a network?
After resolving an intermittent CD-ROM drive fault by firmly reconnecting a loose cable, the technician then decides to inspect all other cable connections to prevent other faults from occurring. Which two conditions will help to prevent future cable and connector faults? (Choose two.)
- There are no missing or bent connector pins.*
- Device data cables exceed manufacturer specifications.
- The connector retaining screws have been over tightened with a screwdriver.
- Cables are stretched tight between connectors.
- Cables are not bent sharply around adapter cards.*
A technician has been asked to reinstall the OS on a computer that has a corrupted operating system. The technician inserts the installation media in the optical drive. What would be the most likely action the technician should perform next?
- Change the BIOS password.
- Change clock speeds in the BIOS.
- Flash the BIOS for a firmware upgrade.
- Change the boot sequence in the BIOS.*
In what two situations is a virtual printer used? (Choose two.)
- A corporate user prints to a centralized printer on the same floor, but on a different network.
- A remote user sends a document to a local user who prints the document using the company laser printer.
- A document is sent to a printer that is connected to the USB port of a co-worker on the same network.
- A document is printed to a PDF or other file type.*
- A user sends a printed document to a remote destination through the cloud.*
Which document can be signed by both a user and a computer repair shop to release the shop from backing up user data?
- liability release form*
- warranty form
- work order
- preventive maintenance plan
Which two existing components must be compatible with the installation of a new upgraded CPU? (Choose two.)
- power supply*
- hard drive
- video card
Refer to the exhibit. During the troubleshooting of software that is installed on a computer system, a level one technician requires help from a level two technician. The file shown in the exhibit must be sent to the level two technician. How should the level one technician deliver this file?
- Replace all passwords in the file with <password omitted> before emailing the file and then supply the passwords by secure means, if required.*
- Send the file as it is to the level two technician.
- This file should not be shared with the level two technician.
- Deliver the file in printed format only.
What is the default subnet mask for a Class A network?
A technician is troubleshooting a 4-year-old computer that takes a long time to boot, and identifies that the BIOS rediscovers all the hardware at every boot. What action would fix this problem?
- Replace the CMOS battery.*
- Launch Device Manager to discover new hardware.
- Start the computer with the last known good configuration.
- Reset the BIOS using the CMOS jumper.
Which two aspects of a computer can be protected by setting the BIOS password? (Choose two.)
- file system management
- operating system booting*
- operating system login
- network address assignment method
- firewall settings
- hard drive settings*
A user notices that a mobile device is draining power faster than is normal. What are three causes of quick battery drain? (Choose three.)
- An app is using too many resources.*
- The device is connecting over a VPN.
- The airplane mode is turned on.
- The display is set to a high level of brightness.*
- The device is roaming between call towers.*
- An app is not compatible with the device.
A user calls the help desk reporting that a laptop with Linux freezes on startup and displays kernel panic. What could cause this problem?
- GRUB or LILO has been deleted.
- An application is using a resource that has become unavailable.
- A driver has become corrupted.*
- GRUB or LILO has been corrupted.
What are three common causes of operating systems problems? (Choose three.)
- failed service pack installation*
- virus infection*
- a corrupted registry*
- incorrect IP addressing information
- loose cable connections
- CMOS battery problem
Which two actions must be performed before installing RAM into a laptop? (Choose two.)
- Remove the battery.*
- Use thermal compound to attach the memory to the motherboard.
- Remove the memory module retaining clips from the slots where the new RAM will insert.
- Disconnect AC power.*
- Before installing the RAM, update the saved CMOS settings to the newly configured amount of RAM.
- Disconnect the display from the bottom of the laptop.
A technician is using the six troubleshooting steps in an attempt to repair a PC. After completing the steps needed to test a theory and determine the cause, the technician still has not solved the problem. Which two steps are likely to be taken next by the technician to establish a plan of action and resolve the problem? (Choose two.)
- Ask other users in the area.
- Call the helpdesk to log the problem.
- Speak with the supervisor of the user.
- Access helpdesk repair logs.*
- Perform an Internet search.*
What are the four layers in the TCP/IP reference model?
- physical, data link, network, transport
- HTTP, TCP, IP, Ethernet
- application, presentation, session, transport
- application, transport, internet, network access*
- TCP, IP, Ethernet, IEEE
A technician is installing a new printer in a cool, damp environment. After the printer cabling is done, and the software and print driver are installed, the printer test page jams. What is the most likely cause of the print failure?
- not enough printer memory
- incorrect printer driver
- loose printer cables
- too much humidity*
After confirming the removal of a virus from a computer, how should the technician ensure and verify the full functionality of the system?
- Check for the latest OS patches and updates.*
- Document the problem and the procedures performed to solve it.
- Gather information from a number of sources to clearly identify the problem.
- Talk with the user to determine the cause of the problem.
True or False?
Thin clients require a network connection to remote servers to perform data processing.
In Windows 7, which path will give access to parental control?
- Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Internet Options > Parental Control link
- Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Internet Options > Security tab
- Start > Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Change User Account Control settings
- Start > Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > Parental Controls*
What is the purpose of running mobile device apps in a sandbox?
- to prevent malicious programs from infecting the device*
- to enable the phone to run multiple operating systems
- to enable separate app icons to be displayed on the home screen
- to bypass phone carrier restrictions that prevent access to unauthorized apps
What are three common solutions for a PC that displays an IP address starting with 169.254.x.x? (Choose three.)
- Use the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew commands to request a new IPv4 address.*
- Turn on the device that is acting as a DHCP server.*
- Reboot the client machine that is using the 169.254.x.x address.
- Reenter the IPv4 address on the DHCP server.
- Check the DNS server setting.*
- Enable the client machine to receive an IPv4 address automatically.
A technician uses the shrink volume feature of the disk management utility and splits the partition. What must the technician do next in order to make use of the new space?
- Delete all partitions and reinitialize the disk.
- Convert the unallocated space into a dynamic disk.
- Format the existing partition.*
- Partition the unallocated space.
What are three features of GPS on mobile devices? (Choose three.)
- phone number lookup
- gas mileage calculations
- specialized search results*
- remote wipe
- device tracking*
What type of security attack is being launched when a hacker calls a company to obtain computer login information and pretends to be an employee?
- social engineering*
Match the computer problem with the area of the system affected by the problem.
Answers in correct order:
- Incomplete service pack update.
- Corrupted registry.
- Using default administrator password.
- Incorrect firewall configuration.
- Incorrect IP address.
- Incorrect wireless configuration.
Which two procedures can help protect against ESD when working on a computer system? (Choose two.)
- the use of an antistatic wrist strap*
- the use of magnetized tools
- the use of an antistatic mat*
- the use of safety glasses
- the use of polyester clothing
A user installs a new sound card driver in a computer that is working properly. After the installation of the drivers for the new sound card, the computer fails to boot. Which quick fix can the user implement to return to the previous working state?
- Boot to Recovery Console.
- Boot to Emergency Recovery State.
- Boot to Start Windows Normally.
- Boot to Last Known Good Configuration.*
What type of WAN connection would use 3G or 4G?
Which software tool will protect against viruses and spyware on a Windows PC?
- Windows 8 Action Center
- Windows Defender*
- System File Checker
Drag the description to its matching cable type.
Correct answer order:
- Developed for high-definition televisions but also popular with computers.*
- 6-pin mini-DIN connector for a keyboard or mouse.*
- Connects coaxial cables to devices and is used with digital or analog audio and video.*
- 7-pin cable that connects to an external hard drive.*
What is the correct disposal process of old computer batteries?
- Because they will decompose harmlessly, they should be thrown away in the recycling bin.
- They should be burned because they do not decompose.
- They can be refilled and reused.
- They should be placed in an airtight container and then thrown away in the regular garbage.
- They must be recycled because they are harmful to the environment.*
A technician wants to add a new shared network printer to a computer. The printer is not shown in the list of available printers. What two actions can the technician take to add the printer? (Choose two.)
- Enter the printer IP address.*
- Enter the name of the computer used to share the printer.
- Access a command prompt and use the net use command to locate the printer and printer path.
- Browse for the printer on the network.*
- Enter the printer model.
What two motherboard components control the system boot operations? (Choose two.)
- Southbridge chip
- BIOS chip*
- UEFI chip*
- Northbridge chip
The corporate security policy states that all remote connections use only secure tunnels for data communications. Which encryption technique secures data traveling across the public Internet as if it were traveling across the corporate LAN?
The PC support person has heard of an instance where departmental secretaries go to lunch and leave their computers unlocked and remain logged into their account. Which Windows feature would the technician use to help in this situation?
- BIOS/UEFI password
- idle timeout and screen lock*
- Windows firewall
After logging into a computer, a user can view files but is unable to download the files. What action can the administrator take to allow the user to download the files while preventing deletion of the files?
- Set the file permissions to Read and Execute.*
- Set the file permissions to Modify.
- Set the folder permissions to Read.
- Set the file permissions to Full Control
Which two items would be part of a laptop preventive maintenance kit? (Choose two.)
- plastic scribe
- flat-head screwdriver
- compressed air*
- antistatic wrist strap
- soft cloth*
Which cleaning material should be used to clean component contacts?
- dishwashing liquid and water
- isopropyl alcohol*
- cotton swabs and cloths
- compressed air
What is a possible use for virtual computing?
- to allow ROM firmware upgrades to be tested
- to allow computer hardware upgrades to be tested
- to allow computer hardware to be tested
- to run old applications that are not compatible with current operating systems*
Where can a technician enable ACPI mode on a laptop?
- Task Manager
- Device Manager*
What are two network requirements necessary to establish a VPN connection between a remote computer and a private company LAN? (Choose two.)
- Internet access*
- low latency network connection
- PSTN access
- VPN client*
- secure web server
What should a technician do before beginning any troubleshooting steps on a customer computer?
- Identify the problem.
- Document the findings.
- Establish a plan of action.
- Perform a data backup.*
A technician is troubleshooting a problem where many websites return a "certificate not valid" error. The technician notices that the date and time are not current and resets these to the correct settings. The previously inaccessible websites are now accessible. However, when the computer is restarted the same problem reoccurs. What can the technician do to prevent the date and time from resetting?
- Upgrade the BIOS.
- Replace the CMOS battery.*
- Change the power settings in the BIOS.
- Reinstall the OS.
What is the distance limitation of a single data run for UTP cabling without adding networking devices?
- 33 ft (10 m)
- 100 ft (31 m)
- 330 ft (100 m)*
- 500 ft (154 m)
Drag the statements on the left to the mobile OS that they describe on the right. (Not all targets are used.)
Which location on a hard disk is used by the BIOS to search for operating system instructions in order to boot a PC?
- the Windows partition
- the logical drive
- the active partition*
- the extended partition