These are the notes for Chapter 8 of the IT2 curriculum. This chapter is printers.
IT2 CHAPTER 8 NOTES
Printer Selection Criteria:
- Capacity & Speed (Paper Capacity / Prints Per Min)
- Connection Type (Serial, Wireless, etc)
- Color: Black/White (Black / White / Both)
- Quality (PPI)
- Reliability (Reliability)
- Warranty (Warranty)
- Schedule Servicing (What to do to the printer w/ maintenance)
- Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) (When the hardware will fail)
- Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) (Maintenance costs & toner life)
Wired Printer Connection Types:
- To access a printer, a computer must have a compatible interface with it. Common interface types:
- Serial *Seldomly used now.
- Parallel *Seldomly used now.
- Small Computer System Interface (SCSI) *Seldomly used now.
- Universal Serial Bus (USB)
- Firewire (Apple)
- High quality printer.
- Spray technology.
- High quality, fast printer.
- Uses a laser beam to create an image.
- Some retail cash registers or older fax machines.
- Uses heat for image generation.
- Carbon-copy printing ability.
- Print heads strike an inked ribbon.
- Virtual Printer
- Sending a print job to a remote destination in the cloud.
Installing & Updating a Printer
- Follow the manufacturer’s guide when connecting one.
- Print software can be installed using a CD from the manufacturer's website.
- The instructions will tell you to either install the printer or software.
- Every printer uses it’s unique printer and driver and software.
- Connect the printer.
- Connect the appropriate data cable to the communication port on the back of printer.
- Attach the printer power cable.
- Never plug a printer into a UPS. The power surge the printer invokes can damage a UPS.
- Printer Driver
- A printer driver is the software program that enables the computer and the printer to communicate with each other.
- It is recommendable to find out if a newer driver is available on the manufacturer’s website.
Optimizing Printer Performance
Software from the driver is where most of the printer driver lies:
- Printer spooling setting
- Color calibration
- Paper orientation
- Print Head Cleaning
Global and Individual Documents options:
- Global Method
- Setting that affects all documents.
- Start > Devices & Printers > Right click Printer
- Start > Printers and Faxes > Right click Printer
- Per Document Method
- Change the document print setting for specific documents
Operating System Settings for Sharing Printers:
- Printers can be shared on a network using wireless or bluetooth.
- Printer sharing can be configured in the Network & Sharing Center in the control panel.
- Shared printers can be connected using wired/wireless methods.
- To connect a shared printer, go to the control panel, choose printers or devices, printers, and add a printer.
- Provide client access to print sources.
- Queue and send print jobs.
- Provide feedback to Account Creation.
Three types of print servers
- Installed on a client PC.
- Connects the network and communicates with the printer.
- Used in a large network with multiple LANs.
- Windows allows PCs to share their printers.
- Configure the computer attached to the printer to share the printer with other network users.
- Configure a user’s computer to recognize the shared printer and print.
Printer Preventive Maintenance
- Follow vendor's guidelines when performing preventive maintenance to keep the printer in good condition.
- Replace consumables using the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Be aware that when the printer says its low, there will still be some printing that can be done, giving time to order.
- Keep the printer clean using the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Clean the printheads or inkjet printer using the printer software.
- Use a HEPA vacuum cleaner to remove toner particles in a laser printer.
- Clean the heating element with isopropyl alcohol on a thermal printer.
- Keep the environment dry and clean.
- Cool, dust free, dry environment
- Keep the glass clean on the copier/scanner
- Two methods of applying ink:
- Bubble of steam applies ink.
- Electric vibrates crystal.
Factors that affect speed of Printer
- Image Quality
- Cache Size
- B/W or Color
5 Ways to Connect to a Printer
- Network / Ethernet
- Software that allows the printer and PC to communicate.
- Many times drivers need to be installed before the printer is in the PC.
“Five printers attached to my system, which one will the PC use first?”
- Default printer
- Per Document
Inkjet printer printing odd colors, not on screen?
- Hi-Res Photos
LAN Users complain of a slow network when people print.
- Printer doesn’t have enough memory for print.
In Printer Settings there is an ‘additional drivers’ option, why?
- Supports other OS.
Windows 8.1, Share printer (USB) what do you configure?
- File/printer sharing
Extend the life of a thermal printer, what maintenance feature can you do?
- Clean the heating element with isopropyl alcohol
- Gather pages.
- Print dual-sided pages/paper.
- Printing using black, but different shades of black..
- Banner, Booklet, Poster…
- Paper not loaded right.
- Wrong type of paper.
- High humidity.
What Permanently attaches the toner to the page?
Toner transferred from drum to paper?
- Top Circle - Drum
- Line - Paper
- Small Circle - Roller