What method is used to ensure packets are not dropped due to being sent too fast?
- Flow Control
What protocol controls the size / speed of HTTP packets?
Which OSI Layer adds in a logical address to the data encapsulation?
- Data Link
Which layer of the OSI model would encapsulate the physical (MAC) address?
- Layer 2 - Data Link
At what layer of the OSI model does TCP protocol link work?
- Layer 4
A piece of data, regardless of what layer model it is at, is known as a
- PDU ((Packet is from Layer 3))
What format is the data in when at layer one (physical)?
What does the ARP protocol do?
- Gets the MAC address from a known ip address.
What does the DNS protocol do?
- The DNS protocol translates a website's (or other named sites) name to an IP address.
What address provides a unique host address at the internet layer?
- Layer 3 -- Use IP (or “logical”) ip addresses.
TCP/IP OSI PDU UNIT PROTOCOLS
2. Data Link
- All data requests go to 7 (Application), crosses layer 1, gets to receiving station, and goes from 1 to 7. Downward motion from 7-1 encapsulates; 1-7 decapsulates.
End to End Connectivity produces common representation of data.
7. The application layer provides the means for end-to-end connectivity between individuals in the human network using data networks.
6.The presentation layer provides for common representation of the data transferred between application layer services.
5. The session layer provides services to the presentation layer to organize its dialogue and to manage data exchange.
4. The transport layer defines services to segment, transfer, and reassemble the data for individual communications between the end devices.
3. The network layer provides services to exchange the individual pieces of data over the network between identified end devices.
2. The data link layer protocols describe methods for exchanging data frames between devices over a common media.
3. The physical layer protocols describe the mechanical, electrical, functional, and procedural means to activate, maintain, and de-activate physical-connections for bit transmission to and from a network device.